Africa Choice

Click On The REGISTER Button Below To Sign Up For FREE!

Onitsha Igbo Migrated From Benin And Ife (Obi Of Onitsha Narrates)

Yes, We Migrated From Benin And Ife Obi. Were the confirmation words of Igwe Alfred Achebe, the current Obi of Onitsha an Igbo community in eastern Nigeria

Igwe Alfred Achebe, the Obi of Onicha Narrates the Origin of Onitsha and how his ancestors migrated from Benin to found present-day Onitsha. He also mentions there was an earlier migration from ife(Ado) hence they’re called Onitsha Ado n’idu which simply translates to Onitsha of Ife and Benin.

Onitsha-Igbo-Migrated-From-Benin-And-Ife--Obi-Of-Onitsha-Narrates,-Africa-Choice.png
Should you have ever wondered why Onitsha has the Western style of rulership and not the Eastern style?

Have you wondered why they Use the Ada and Evben, why they clothe in the royal cotton clothes of the Anioma people, and why they consider themselves different from other Igbos?

Here’s why. Enjoy this revelation by the Obi of Onitsha himself, the custodian of the culture and tradition of Onitsha, Agbogidi himself (I hope you all know the origin of the title Agbogidi). For the benefit of those who don’t understand the Obi’s Onitsha core dialect in the short video below: Watch

The Obi after narrating the history known to him as passed to him from his ancestors went on to say that the next question that will be asked is ‘If the Onitsha people are indigenous of Ado or could they have come to Ado from somewhere else?’

He went on to still ask what they were saying then is ‘Did the Igbos move from Eri to Ado and then moved back from Ado’ (this was just him thinking aloud, as this part is not in Onitsha history

But he was being diplomatic so as not to possibly upset other Igbos who might not be comfortable with this account passed to him by his ancestors), so he’s leaving these questions for our perusal.

He goes further to ask ‘Is it that Igbos came from Egypt to Ado and then Benin to their present location ?’ (remember that these are just rhetorical questions and he didn’t provide an answer to it). And then he says ‘all these (questions he raised) are for our perusals

And then he goes on to say that he and the previous Oni and the present one are in touch/contact/communicate(d) (in an attempt to decipher some of the questions raised) so far

He also says that the reason why Obi of Onitsha and the Oni (past & present) keep in touch is that they know that they’re the same (I wanted to use ‘one family’ but I remembered it’s the slogan of a terrorist organization and I have no intention of implying that ife people are parts of it).

But we need to understand that at one time or the other, we all as humans are immigrants, and if well traced we are one Humanity. While this has gone a bit viral across social media, on Twitter X users said!!! Obi Achebe does not need to be diplomatic with his origin,

He owes no one an apology whether his people are considered second-class igbo's because they have migrated from across the Niger shouldn’t be his concern. I do appreciate the fact that he was courageous to do this as this will be preserved for unborn generations and is welcoming.

Conclusively, it’s called Onitsha Ado n’idu portraying their origin and not Onitsha Eri. Sign up to Africa Choice here for more incentives. Check out the Marketplace